The Director of Blood Sciences is Dr Shirley Bowles, Consultant Chemical Pathologist, the Deputy Director and Clinical Lead for Haematology is Dr Salaheddin Tueger, Consultant Haematologist.
The Laboratory uses state of the art analysers in all its laboratories and is fully computerised with electronic order entry. The department is accredited with United Kingdom Accreditation Services (UKAS) to ISO 15189:2012.
The full medical team includes:
- Dr Shirley Bowles- Consultant Chemical Pathologist, available on ext 5652 or secretary 5365
- Dr Salaheddin Tueger - Consultant Haematologist, available on ext 5387 or secretary 5378
- Dr Arvind Pillai - Consultant Haematologist, available on ext.5382 or secretary 5390
- Dr Raphael Kawonga - Consultant Haematologist, available on ext 5093 or secretary 5377
- Dr Sean McGoldrick - Consultant Haematologist,available on ext 4714 or secretary 5377
- Dr Emma Lewis- Consultant Clinical Biochemist, available on ext 5653 or secretary 5365
- Haematology SpR and SHO on rotation
Blood Transfusion Department
There is a Hospital Transfusion Committee, chaired by Dr David Castillo, Consultant Anaesthetist, which meets regularly to discuss transfusion issues associated with the Trust and provides feedback to the Management Board and the Risk Management Group.
The department is supported by a Senior Transfusion Practitioner, Hayley Spiers, Junior Transfusion Practitioner, Trish Brown, and Blood Bank Managers, Emma Kirkham and Clare Barnard, whose role includes ensuring safe transfusion practice is performed within the Trust with particular emphasis on education and training. The Department is involved in an active audit programme to ensure that good transfusion practice is maintained.
Electronic issue of blood is available across the Trust, thereby improving the turnaround time for availability of blood.
Who`s Who in Pathology